Diabetic. Facing digestion problem and pain in leg. What treatment should be done?

My self XXXXXXX my father having diabetes since a year, he is facing from stumuc and digetion problem, and pain in his leg..he can't sleep in night.. please suggest any solution, his sugar level vary from 120 to 190...
my cell no. is 0000
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later

Diabetes is associated with indigestion and is a condition called Gastroparesis in which nerves supplying the gut become affected leading to delayed gastric emptying. The result is indigestion, heart burns, bloating, vomiting, and even infection of the delayed food. These could sufficiently disturb sleeping.

However, poorly controlled diabetes affects sleep directly since sleeping is related to how well the body functions and in diabetes, the metabolic control of blood sugar level is altered. Blood sugar levels ranging from 120 to 190 are not that terribly bad but values less than 190 could be better.

What he should do in order to reduce the gastric and indigestion problems are;
-eat less in the evening
-eat a lot of fiber
-take a lot of fluids
-reduce fats and alcohols
-do regular exercises
-avoid caffeinated drinks in the evening and stimulants
-take his diabetic drugs as prescribed

It is important to avoid being stress up as stress could account for insomnia which further increases stress and promotes poor blood sugar control.

Concerning, the pain it is hard to say what might be the cause, but serious skin care is needed to avoid injuries since wound healing is poor in diabetics.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do need further clarifications I will be ready to help.

Best regards and hope this helps you.
Follow-up: Diabetic. Facing digestion problem and pain in leg. What treatment should be done? 32 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks for your prompt reply..
* can u suggest which food having lot of fiber,....?
* can my father take fruit/fruit juice for energy...?
* mostly my father sugar level found below 190, but as i said, there is variation, i.e. sometimes it is 101, then some times it may be 180, it is not stable, if u have some medicine for the same kindly suggest me...

thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 13 hours later

Thanks once more for the query.

Vegetables and fruits would be good for your dad. Fruit juice is ok but taking fruits in its whole is better.

As concerns the variation of glycemic (blood sugar) levels, it is but normal to have variations depending on meal. However, your father's levels are not terribly bad but then he should be put on anti-diabetic drugs which his doctor can correctly prescribe, follow up and provide medical advice on regarding the drug regimen. Oral anti-diabetic drugs would do for now.

Hope this helps you. If you do not have further queries you could close the discussion and rate the

Best regards ,