Diabetic. Developed large swollen area on left side. Having pain. No sleep due to pain. Suggest

General Surgeon
I have developed a large swollen area on my left side about the size of a football. I am in a lot of pain and my doctor says it's nothing. I don't know what to think or what to do about it. I have not been able to sleep in two weeks because of the pain
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 28 minutes later
Hi ! I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon.

I would like to know the exact site of the swelling, and the total duration of the swelling. The severity of pain indicates that it could be an inflammatory swelling or an abscess.
Please also send reports of any investigations done so far for this. In addition, it will be very much helpful for both of us if you can please attach a photograph of the swelling with your query.

You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Diabetic. Developed large swollen area on left side. Having pain. No sleep due to pain. Suggest 34 minutes later
A cat scan was preformed a week ago on his entire stomach-side area and nothing was found. His white blood count is normal and it was discovered that he has a small hernia. His doctor thinks he strained the left side of his back which is causing swelling and pain on his left side and that he needs to loose weight and get in shape but he hurts to much to do that and the swelling and pain has been persistent for two weeks. Does this sound normal for a strain?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later
HI ! Thank you for such a fast response, which shows your concern. A small uncomplicated hernia (? Inguinal) is not going to cause pain of this intensity. Yes, a lumbo sacral strain can give rise to such pain, but the swelling is perplexing. Is your patient a child? Please try to ascertain if there was any history of trauma to his back. If no such history is found, and if the swelling with the pain is over the back near the spine, I would suggest you to get reviewed by your treating doctor and you may require an MRI scan of the lumbo sacral region where the swelling possibly is located as per your history. If he is overweight, losing some weight will always be beneficial for him.
Let me please know the follow up reports. Thanks.