Diabetic. Dependent on insulin. Lost weight. Developed severe neuropathy in feet and toes. What can be done?

For years I was an insulin dependent diabetic, the I began to lose lots of weight, and my diabetes improved. Unfortunately, I developed severe neuropathy in my feet, especially my toes. Year round, my toes will be freezing cold, especially when I am in bed. I've tried creams, rubs, etc. but nothing helps. It is misery. What can I do?
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 33 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

The neuropathy is due to diabetes.

It is called Diabetic neuropathy. It is a common serious complication of diabetes.

You can slow its progression with tight blood sugar control and healthy lifestyle.

If left untreated it may damage the foot by creating cuts and sores due to loss of feeling which may ulcerate and gangrene formation.
This eventually leads to amputation of the foot.

I'm mentioning some test to measure the extent of nerve damage.
1. Filament test.
2. Nerve conduction studies
3. Electromyography.

The main of treatment is to

1. Slow the progress of the disease.
Maintain Blood sugar.
FBS 70 - 130 mg/dl
PPBS less than 180 mg/dl
HbA1C less than 7 %

2. Relieving Pain

Anti seizure medications like Gabapentin, pregabalin and carbamazepine are used.

Consult a neurologist for effective management.

Hope this answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.