Diabetic. Blood test done. Found slightly high urobilinogen value in urine. On asocol. What to do?

Oncologist, Surgical
I had a complete blood work up today and my urobilinogen was 2.0 last 6 mths was 1.1 all other areas was where within the limits what could cause this to be that high , what do i need to do ? here are some stats from test today wbc-4.38 lymph 1.35 mucus 1. t rbc 1.8 will u give me your thoughts and ideas on what may be going on i had colitis 5 yrs ago and i am on asocol 2 pills a day i feel great no issues . I have 2 glasses of wine at night 1 before dinner and 1 after dinner i feel great would like for u to give me a good result of what u think could be going on and what is the worst part of this tk u XXXXXXX
I am a diabetic for 42 yrs A 1 c 5.7 I take good care of my self I was shocked.. what do i need to do Thank You ...

Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. The urobilinogen value in your urine is slightly high and this can be due to some hemolytic process (in which red blood cells are being injured). This can be evaluated by doing a peripheral smear analysis. You should also get liver function tests done as they would indicate the level of bilirubin, which is a more sensitive indicator of liver function than urobilinogen.

Rest of your blood tests appear to be fine. HbA 1c of 5.7 indicates a good control of diabetes and you should try to maintain it within this range.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.