Diabetes,raised AST and ALT levels,fatty liver

Hi i am a diabitic and my ast was at 149 and alt was at 137. I do not drink or smoke. What is doing on ? i do take alot of vitamins.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Raised levels of AST and ALT are commonly caused in your age group by fat deposition in the liver also called as fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle. My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.
I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Diabetes,raised AST and ALT levels,fatty liver 1 hour later
Thanks you doctor my family doctor isaid last year that it was hepitis c. Being a diaBetic who alc is below 5.5 with no medicine just working out 5 days Week and blend XXXXXXX and eat health . Have no drunk in 20!yrs I do hAve alot stress with my own business and my wife hAs now been took she has a pitatAury tumon.
Doctor I am nervous. Can this be fix thru medicine. I have no pains I do take alot of protein shake and mixtures of supplements. Is this bad doc.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Excessive intake of protein shakes and multivitamins puts an unnecessary work load on your liver, making the enzyme levels to shoot up. You can avoid them for a month and repeat the liver enzymes to see the improvement.

Your problem is not very serious and can be easily taken care of with the help of medicines.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Diabetes,raised AST and ALT levels,fatty liver 10 hours later
This is my lab results
Hepatic function(7)
Protein,total,serum. 6.5
Albumin, serum. 3.8
Bilirubin, total. 0.6
Bilirubin, direct. 0.22
Alkaline, phosphatase. 135
Ast (shgot). 149
Alt. (sghp). 137

Hemoglobin alc. 5.7
Microalbumin, random urine. 10.9

Doctor after reading my lab work . What does it look like. Is it hepatics
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Your lab work is not suggestive of hepatitis as the related investigations of specific antigens for infection have not been done.Microalbuminuria indicates presence of diabetic nephropathy. Diabetes needs to be controlled properly.
Hepatic function tests show only raised AST and ALT suggestive of fatty liver.
Happy to help you always.