Diabetes,high BP,protected intercourse.Possible STD?

Hi Doctor,
Iam in XXXXXXX confused state. Iam male 39 yrs married and have a healthy family life. Iam a diabetic Patient and my BP is also high around 155/104. Iam taking medicenes for diabetic as well as for BP. sir my Problem was Today I met a woman accidentaly and we talked and became friends. we had sex and although i had a protected sex(Used Condom), now iam afraid of getting any sexually transmitted disesaes or HIV. because i Have a Faithful wife and I dont want to get in trouble. and ofcourse that time i did not think of anybody and made a blunder mistake of having sex. Kindly give me advice and your valuable suggestion to get trid of my fear. will i able to lead a healthy life. Iam totaly worried Please help me out sir.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later

you used a condom during the sex. If the condom did not get torn and was of a good quality then you have saved yourself from any STD. You are not having any symptoms of any kind I presume.
Still do be doubly sure you can get all the screening tests for STDs like HIV, herpes, syphilis, chlamydia, etc done after 15 days.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Diabetes,high BP,protected intercourse.Possible STD? 14 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thank You for your valuable remarks, I would like to know the name of the test to be carried out. What are the symptoms which occur in male and female in the STD cases can u brief me and explain so that I will be clear and satisifed and the name of the screeining test to be carried out. Awaiting for your valuable reply. ThanK You
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The tests needed are HIV-1 antibody tests (ELISA), VDRL, semen examination and culture, Tzanck smear, etc will help in detecting any STD. The screening tests are best done fifteen days after exposure if there are no symptoms.
Common symptoms are appearance of swelling, ulcers, palpable nodes around genitalia, fever, burning micturition, warts, etc.
Hope my answer is helpful.

Follow-up: Diabetes,high BP,protected intercourse.Possible STD? 31 hours later
Thank you doctor for your kind remarks. I would like to know is it necessary to take the test if i don't find any symptoms or else whats the advice from your end
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

If there are no symptoms and the condom you used was intact then you can avoid taking the tests.

Another method you can follow is to take her for testing and see if she is infected for HIV or not if she is not infected you need not worry.

Just self monitor yourself for any rashes, penis discharge , fever, lymph node swelling, ulcers, etc.

Hope this helps you.