Diabetes,chest pain,acid reflux,GERD,normal chest X-ray

I am a 28 year old female 4 ft 11inch 218.3 lbs. I have pre-diabetes and both grandfathers have had heart attacks. I have been having pains in my chest due to acid reflux/ GERD. I know I need to work on my weight ( have already lost 16 lbs). I have had blood work done plus 4 EKG's and a chest x-ray and all normal. My blood pressure is good last time it was 110/70. Am I at a severely high risk of having a heart attack myself?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The high risk factors for heart problems include obesity, hypertension, hypercholesterolaemia, smoking, alcohol intake, a strong family history, physical inactivity, uncontrolled diabetes, high C-reactive protein, uncontrolled stress and anger, etc.

Considering your history you are at a high risk of having heart disease and the risk can be decreased considerably by taking care of the modifiable risk factors.

Making changes in your lifestyle is a proven method for reducing your risk of heart disease. You need to get your cholesterol levels checked and need to manage these levels if they are raised.

Losing some extra weight will decrease your risk considerably- both dietary restrictions and regular exercise schedule will be helpful.

Eat a heart-healthy diet low in salt, saturated fat, trans fat, cholesterol, and refined sugars. Try to increase your intake of foods XXXXXXX in vitamins and other nutrients, especially antioxidants, which have been proven to lower your risk for heart disease. Also eat plant-based foods such as fruits and vegetables, nuts, and whole grains.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Diabetes,chest pain,acid reflux,GERD,normal chest X-ray 1 hour later
I don't smoke drink caffine or drink alcohol. Does that reduce my chance at all?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Yes these things do matter and do reduce your risk but only to a small extent.

The major contributing factors are obesity, being prediabetic and having a positive family history.

Eat healthy fats found in vegetable oils, fish,nuts, avocados, and salmon, and cut back on higher-fat foods like red meat, whole milk, chips and pastries.
Avoid packaged fruit juices, fast food, take aways,fried food.

Do regular exercises for 30 to 45 minutes daily.Practise yoga and meditation.

Both a healthy diet and regular physical exercise can lead to another important tool in lowering cholesterol and weight loss.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Different topic but is it true that if a woman has insomnia she can end up having a heart attack weeks to a month after not sleeping?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

Heart attack can be precipitated by the stress and anxiety caused by continuous insomnia.

The risk varies from person to person and you can avoid it by leading a tension free life.