Diabetes under control, taking glyciphage. Can I take rantac and zevit. Suggestions?

i am having diabetism below 150 after diet. now i am taking glyciphage tablets and
zevit vitamin tablets daily. can i take rantac 150mg along with these two tablets. please suggest
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 4 hours later
Hello sir.
Thanks for asking in Healthcare Magic.

Post prandial (after food) blood glucose level of 150 mg/dl indicates very good control of Diabetes. You should also check your HbA1C values every three months.

There is no known drug interaction between Metformin and Ranitidine. Ranitidine acts by reducing the gastric acid production. It will only interfere with the absorption of drugs that are absorbed in acid medium (stomach). It will not have any action on the absorption of drugs absorbed in alkaline medium (intestine).

Metformin is absorbed mainly in small intestine and so its absorption will not be affected be Ranitidine. Although Ranitidine inhibits the metabolism (break down) of drugs given along with it, this action is so minimal to interfere with the blood level of Metformin.

Metformin causes Zevit is prescribed for you. B 12 is also absorbed in intestine. So there is no harm in taking it with Ranitidine. But Metformin causes nausea, abdominal cramps (bloating), indigestion and diarrhea. These effects usually disappear after some time.

Sir, many people mistake bloating sensation for gastritis. So please confirm with your treating Dr as to whether you are really having gastritis. As acid is necessary for normal absorption of food, prolonged intake of acid suppressing drugs like Ranitidine will do more harm than good.

I hope sir, that I have answered your query. Please feel free to write back for any further clarifications.
Follow-up: Diabetes under control, taking glyciphage. Can I take rantac and zevit. Suggestions? 11 hours later
thank you for your valyable answer.according to you can i take rantac tablets for some days leaving some break.i think that Ranitidine and rantac are one and the same. please reply
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 43 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic sir.

Yes sir. Both Rantac and Ranitidine are same. Ranitidine is a histamine receptor blocker. Histamine causes gastric (stomach) acid secretion and Ranitidine inhibits histamine induced acid secretion.

Sir, the liver and kidney functions of people of your age will be a little diminished compared to younger age group people. Ranitidine should not be used daily for long periods, if your liver and kidney functions are compromised.

However, it can be used safely for a few days ( daily, for a maximum period of 2 weeks) unless it is prescribed by your treating Dr for gastritis, in which case you should take it for a period of 4 weeks. Please do liver and kidney function tests if you need to take it for a long period. Yes, certainly you can take it after a break.

The side effects of Ranitidine are headache, diarrhea, constipation, dizziness or rashes. You should consult your treating Dr in case you suffer from any of these side effects. The side effects will disappear on stopping Ranitidine which will give you an indication if such symptoms are due to the drug. Unlike other drugs no harm will ensue if you stop one dose of Ranitidine, provided that you are not diagnosed with peptic ulcer.

I hope this helps.
Good Day.
Follow-up: Diabetes under control, taking glyciphage. Can I take rantac and zevit. Suggestions? 1 hour later
thank you for your immediat response
Answered by Dr. Nirmala P 6 minutes later
Thank you sir. It was nice interacting with you. Wish you a happy and healthy life.

Good Day sir.