Diabetes, taking pills for low BP. Have random bruises on legs. Taking antidepressant. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My mom, age 60, has type 2 Diabetes, is taking a blood pressure pills (due to low blood pressure) and how three random bruises on one of her upper legs. Just last week, she had a doctors visit and received an excellent report on the state of her diabetes. She is also taking antidepressants. Is this a cause for concern, and should she visit a doctor?
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Sometimes bruises appear that cannot always be related to any trauma. It may be that your mother accidently bumped her leg but didn't notice it at the time. It is good to know that her diabetes is well controlled. It is unusual to take medication for low blood pressure. Perhaps you mean high blood pressure. You don't mention the type of antidepressant she is taking. However, both blood pressure tablets and antidepressants do not generally cause bruising.
Therefore, I would think it most likely that her bruising is not a cause for concern and she does not need to visit the doctor.
I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger