Ask a Urologist   »  

Diabetes, stroke, full bladder. Treatment for bladder fullness, advise?

my husband is suspected of having diabetes (test this a.m. showed sugar in urine) and had a stroke two days ago. He feels his bladder feels full and rushes to the bathroom literally every ten minutes. Almost nothing comes out. The doctor we saw this morning says there is nothing he can do until the test results come back from blood test for diabetes. My husband is in a lot of discomfort. Should I take him to urgent care or emergency room for a test on how full the bladder is after urination and get some medicine to make him urinate?
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

I am a medical doctor working in the department of urology under an expert urologist. I answer on his behalf.

Yes, I think you should take your husband to the emergency room.

Acute retention of urine is an emergency. If the bladder is full and if he is still unable to pass urine, catheterization of his bladder will help him using Foley’s catheter. It may relieve him of his symptoms and give him some rest.

The in depth evaluation and cause of the same can be evaluated further on.

Hope this helps.