Diabetes, sleep apnea, morbid obesity, numbness in the left hand, chance of heart attack?

I am a morbidly obese 43 year old male. I have type two diabetes and sleep apnea, for which I have a CPAP machine. Two days ago, I went to the emergency room for an altered sensation (not numbness) and weakness in my left hand, accompanied by some short-lived pain in my triceps area and my chest. Both an EKG and two CAT scans came out negative. The sensation and strength returend to my hand slowly, and fully in two hours. The resulting diagnosis was either a minor stroke or some kind of 'pinched' nerve. I was released later that same day. I also had a follow-up Echocardiagram the next day. This morning, I woke up with a dull pain in the upper left side of my chest. At first I thought it was anxiety, but it gets worse when I either turn my neck all the way to the side (a little lateral motion is ok) , or lift my left arm above my head in an XXXXXXX (as if to touch my ear). I've also noticed the pain responds to Flexeril, which I took at first, but which I fear taking now because there is a warning not to take it if one has had a heart attack.
I just recently noticed the chest pain, again, localized to the left side, is worst when I bend my neck forward, as in touching my chin to my chest. Please advise.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 5 hours later

I can understand that you have are a morbidly obese adult with diabetes, sleep apnea and minor stroke/pinched nerve.

Your dull pain in left chest and arm could be of varied reasons starting from heart, nerves, muscles and lungs. your pain seems to be related to muscular problem and you had responded to Flexiril. Flexiril is a muscle relaxant and should be used with caution for long term.

It is also worthwhile to rule out a cardiac problem as well, considering the nature of pain. You might require a stress ECG or stress Echo, to diagnose any underlying ischemia.

I would suggest you to consult your physician for detailed physical examination. Treatment will follow according to the cause.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.