Diabetes, red swollen belly button, painful. Suggestion?

I am 47, 230 pounds, 5 foot nine inches. I have been a reckless person all my life with my health. I take care of everything except me. I know if I have had sympotms of diabetes for about 15years. For the past three years I have had a red swollen belly button that know hurts with preasure. I am going to the doctors for the first time this Thursday. Can you tell me just what I could be facing. I am scared, but no one to blame but myself..Thank you
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later

Red and swollen belly button which hurts on pressure means it is infected.

Usually it happens after you get the belly button pierced. If there is no history of piercing then spontaneous infection may occur in diabetics due to poor hygiene.

The best treatment is to keep the area clean and wash it at least thrice daily with warm water. Doing a hot fomentation will help. Antibiotics are needed to control the infection which you can get prescribed from your physician.

Do monitor blood glucose levels also, as good control of diabetes is necessary to avoid recurrence.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.