Diabetes and hypertension. Sleeping problems, palpitations, high sugar levels. Have smoking addiction

I'm a 42 yr old male that has diabetes and high blood pressure. The last few nights when I go to bed my heart beats hard and fast for a long period of time. Sometimes it feels like it going to burst. I'm having problems sleeping and my sugar levels are high and I can't control it. I take pills for my diabetes. I'm 6 foot 1 and I weigh 250 lbs and I'm not very active. I smoke about 3/4 of pack of smokes a day. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ravindra L Kulkarni 2 hours later

As per your history, you have following risk factors for heart disease
1 overweight
2 high BP
3 Uncontrolled diabetes
4 smoking
5 sedentary lifestyle
6 likely associated stress

These all contribute to heart disease - like angina and at later stage leads to serious disease like Myocardial infarction - Heart attack.

Kindly consider following measures to avoid progression to serious heart disease

1 Monitor your blood pressure regularly. Consult Physician for treatment options.
2 as you have realized some chest discomfort, it is also advisable to undergo preventive cardiac check up at earliest, consider basic screening tests like lipid profile, Echo cardiography and stress test. These tests will assist in medical management.
3 Consult your physician for diabetes also; consider change of treatment to achieve steady level of controlled blood sugar. Long term uncontrolled blood sugar is associated with complications of diabetes.
4 counseling with dietitian or diabetic educator will also be useful for better control of blood sugar and self monitoring.
5 regular exercises are essential, so is quitting smoking.
6 you can take low dose of anxiolytics after consultant s advice for sleep related problems for short duration.

I hope these tips will help you to control your diabetes and high BP.
Kindly schedule your preventive cardiac check up at earliest
Feel free to ask any query if you have.