Diabetes. Having gastrointestinal distress since quitting Limbitrol. How do I improve?

Dec 2012

Could there be some bad aftereffects after withdrawal from Limbitrol and what are they?
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to be able to help you with your query,

Limbitrol is drug made of two active ingredients: chlordiazepoxide and amitriptyline. Each of which are known to have withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms, similar in character to those noted with barbiturates and alcohol (convulsions, tremor, abdominal and muscle cramps, vomiting and sweating), have occurred following abrupt discontinuance of chlordiazepoxide. The more severe withdrawal symptoms have usually been limited to those patients who had received excessive doses over an extended period of time. Generally milder withdrawal symptoms (eg, dysphoria and insomnia) have been reported following abrupt discontinuance of benzodiazepines taken continuously at therapeutic levels for several months. Withdrawal symptoms (e.g., nausea, headache and malaise) have also been reported in association with abrupt amitriptyline discontinuation. Consequently, after extended therapy, abrupt discontinuation should generally be avoided and a gradual dosage tapering schedule followed. Addictionprone individuals (such as drug addicts or alcoholics) should be under careful surveillance when receiving chlordiazepoxide or other psychotropic agents because of the predisposition of such patients to habituation and dependence.

Hope this answers your question.