Diabetes. Done blood sugar tests. Prescribed glynase, janumate, glycomate. What is the use of these medications?

Question
i have got diabetes recently fasting 317 and post fasting 417 my height 5.6 and weight 65 and age 27. i have suggested by my doctor to use glynase mf morning and night before meals for three weeks and now my sugar levels come down to normal fasting 87 and post fasting 93 and my doctor has now suggested to use janumate 50/500 mg morning and night and glycomate 500 after noon meals. may i know what is difference between glynase mf and janumate 50/500 mg and why this has prescribed
Posted Sun, 8 Jul 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Glynase-mf contains Glipizide 5mg and Metformin 500mg, while
Janumate 50/500 contains Sitagliptin 50mg and Metformin 500mg &
Glycomate 500 contains only Metfomin 500mg

Metformin is first line drug of choice, thus every dose contains it.

Side effects like hypoglycemia and weight gain are less with Sitagliptin, and it is more safe.

Only your Physician can tell exact cause of "why he changed the prescription and prescribed Janumate & Glycomate in place of Glynase-mf".

But it seems that your physician first controlled your Diabetes with Glynase-mf and once it is controlled switching to more safe combination.

If you have further query in this regard, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Diabetes. Done blood sugar tests. Prescribed glynase, janumate, glycomate. What is the use of these medications? 1 hour later
Thank you I have now got idea about janumate drug. can you please brief me what is the use of Metfomin and Glipizide and how does it affect the blood sugar levels.

Welcome again,

Metformin and Glipizide both are used to treat type 2 Diabetes mellitus.

Metformin is a biguanide. It exerts its effect primarily by increasing peripheral uptake of glucose. In large doses it also decreases the intestinal uptake of glucose.

Glipizide is sulphonylurea. It increases release of insulin and sensitivity of peripheral tissue to insulin and inhibits release of glucose by liver.

With good wishes,