Developing itchy spots over legs, arms, back and waist area. How to get relief?

Hello doctor

I have been developing itchy spots over my legs, arms, back and waist area. they are very itchy and become red when scratched. I have consulted a doctor who says these are night insect bytes while another one does not rule out scabies. I have taken various medications but neither the itch is going and new ones come up every day.

I have examined my matteress and bed very thoroughly but did not find anything appreciable. Still I will get a pest control done.

My wife has also been experiencing very similar symptoms over last few days. Currently I feel like some thing crawling over & biting me all the time but can not see anything. I also have some itching in scalp.

I started out with applying clobetasol and taking levocetrizine tablet OD at night. Also, took a tablet of zentel to rule out any stomach insects.

Later doctor has put me on tablets of methylpredisilone and microcrystalline cellulose tablets BD. Also, applied premethrine cream all over my body last night.

Attached are some photos of these itchy spots from my wife and my body.

Please help us. this is driving us nuts.

Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your images and history.

Most probable condition you are having is scabies.Other possibilities can be disseminated eczema and prurigo simplex.

Also I would like to know-
Itching is more in day or nighttime?

Is your genital area involved?any bumps in penis/scrotum?
Is your wrist/ webspaces/ fingers involved?

Any children having similar complaints?

Answer the above questions to help you better.

Meanwhile you can take single tablet of Ivermectol (12mg) today empty stomach.
Stop using clobetasol.You can use good quality moisturizer like Calosoft lotion over affected area.
If itching is severe you can take tablet allegra (180)mg twice daily.

Hope this helps.
Answer the questions and we can continue discussion here.

Dr Sudarshan.
Follow-up: Developing itchy spots over legs, arms, back and waist area. How to get relief? 48 minutes later
Thanks for the reply doctor. Below are the answers:
Itching is more in day or nighttime?
[Vineet] Definitely more in nighttime.

[Vineet] No. nothing significant

[Vineet] My wrists have some marks. Fingers/webspaces are not involved

Any children having similar complaints?
[Vineet] I have a 2 yr daughter who also sleeps with us. Luckily so far she is okay. Couple of weeks ago she had complained of itching on her legs but that subsided soon and so far she is doing fine.

I also need help in figuring out the cause of this because we are now paranoid while sleeping on bed not knowing if it is infected with bugs that are causing this trouble. Although we have not found any significant bugs in mattereses upon examintation.

If this is scabies, what could be the cause for this? Both me and my wife go to swim in society pool on weekends. Can swimming pool water be the cause of this trouble.

Should I stop using the steroids that doctor i visited has prescribed? I have taken 4 doses of that while my wife has not started with it.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for the details.

It appears to be scabies from your description.
Scabies is caused by parasite sarcoptes scabies.These are too small to be visible to
naked eyes.Usually affect family members.Itching is worse at night.

You should wash all your clothes/bedsheets /pillow covers with warm water and dettol liquid added to the water.

Stop visiting swimming pool for atleast 10 days.It can be a source of infection.
Continue methylprednisolone 4mg doses.
You can repeat application of permethrin after 7 days.
Stop clobetasol application.
Take Ivermectol 12mg one stat.
You can use special soap like Pthrin soap or Gamascab soap.

Hope this helps.

Dr Sudarshan.
Follow-up: Developing itchy spots over legs, arms, back and waist area. How to get relief? 10 minutes later
Thanks doctor.

How long should i take methylprednisolone ? Currently I am taking 8 mg BD. It seems to be causing stomach ache now after 4 tablets. What should I do in case it continues to cause stomach ache? Should it be tapered down or can i stop it after 1 more day?

What should I do to avoid my daughter catching this disease? Is there some diagnostic test which can confirm scrabies?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again,

You can take methylprednisolone for 15 days.8 mg once in the morning is good enough.
Take it after breakfast and along with half cup of milk.It will decrease stomach problem.Also if stomach ache is more you can take pantoprazole tablet(20) once in the morning empty stomach it will relieve hyperacidity caused by these tablets.
Usually itching lasts for 10 to 14 days in the scabies even after successful treatment of scabies.
To counteract these itching steroids are given for 10 -15days.

Your effective treatment will reduce the chance of infection to her.You can also give her tab Ivermectol 6mg one dose stat. It will clear the infection if she has got any.

There is no lab test for scabies.It is done by clinical features only.

Hope this helps.

Dr Sudarshan.