Developed white spots all over body. Diagnosed with fungal infection. Is there any permanent cure?

Hello Doctor

My wife has this tendency of developing white spots over upper part of her body which doctors have diagnosed as fungal infection. She takes treatment every year for 1 month or so but the spots again return next year. However, this time round the patches have not gone away completely even after prolonged treatment.

Please have a look at attached photos and advise us.

Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 14 hours later
your wife has a very common and simple problem. It is tinea versicolor or pityriasis versicolor. it is a fungal infection. your doctor has given the right drug that is ketaconazole. If she gets once a year only you need not put her on prophylactic treatment. she may be treated when she gets the problem only.

Now, your problem is, she still has discoloration even after treatment. It is possible in all cases of tinea versicolor. basically the fungus destroys the cells which contribute to color that is melanocyte. As the cells are destroyed it gives rise to off white color. with treatment the fungus only dies. iIs sequelae the color change takes another three months to come back to normal.

what to do for this?
Mere sun exposure for five minutes per day will suffice to stimulate the color producing cells.

How to prevent recurrences?
she can take tab fluconazole 400 mg one tablet per month for one year, which has been found useful in patients with recurrences.
Along with this, weight reduction will also help out as it reduces the amount of sweating in the body as it reduces the surface area of skin.

I hope these simple instructions will definitely help as per my experiences

Have a good day
PVS Prasad