Developed urethral infection and urethritis after intercourse. Should I go for ELISA test?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Hello i hope to get answer from Dr. S. XXXXXXX ..

i'm male 24 years old circumcised
85 days ago i had unprotected oral sex, protected genital sex with a girl that i met on the internet ,
i developed urethral infection and urethritis no visible signs on penis no fever or back pain.after 1 week and half of the incident.
i was then treated by antibiotics.
i started to develop other STDs anxiety. because the girl had visible cold sore on her lips (a sign of herpes), however both my doctor here and doctor EWH in medhelp agreed that it's not herpes because i would have visible signs on penis and have fever and other symptoms.
i tried to do hsv-1 and hsv-2 igM test here in China but they don't have that tests.
i did HAV HBV HEV HCV test at 7 weeks and it came out negative
i did HIV test at 9 weeks (Elisa) and i did another test yesterday 12 weeks (Elisa) (85 days) it also came out negative.
i did syphilis test too at 85 days also negative
here are my questions for STDs.
1 -i'm soo worried that i might have catched genital herpes and maybe i'm asymptotic right now, is it possible after months or years i might start to have herpes symptoms?

2- Do i need to do the hiv Elisa test again at 3 months to 6 months or is 12 weeks conclusive?

3- my Doctor was convinced that the 9 weeks test was conclusive and that i didn't need to do the test again but i was insisting to repeat the test,he told me i should not waste money, anyways i felt like this test was cheaper than the last one, but he told me both are same and it's Elisa tests? i can't read chinese... I'm just wondering are there different hiv Elisa tests?is all Elisa tests same for hiv do they all test for hiv1 and 2 ?

6- is it time to Move on?
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later

Thanks for posting your query to me.

As you had genital sex with adequate protection and unprotected oral sex, the chances of getting HIV is very, very negligible.

With regards to your specific questions:

1. incubation period. If you were been infected you already would have developed the symptoms by now. As you do not report any grouped vesicles or tiny grouped ulcer like symptoms, you need not worry about the herpes.
It is highly unlikely that you would get the symptoms in future, unless there is a fresh exposure. Therefore I recommend you to practice safe sex always. Avoid risky exposure. Use protection during oral exposure too.

2. HIV ELISA after 12 weeks is almost conclusive. There is no need to repeat the test any more.

3. All tests have the same principle, i.e., detecting antibodies against HIV in the body. If it is negative it means that these tests were not able to detect any antibodies in your body against HIV. And that means "you've not at all infected". Some tests are rapid tests which gives instant results where as ELISA takes time to interpret.

Likewise all tests will rule out both HIV 1 & 2. Some of the tests like Trodot, Triline can specifically differentiate HIV 1&2 and rule out or indicate the same.

However only in case of a positive test one has to go for differentiation - whether it is HIV 1 or 2. With negative test you need not bother about the same as both had been ruled out already.

4. Based on your symptoms, I see no reasons to be worried off. And I would also say it is time to move on.

Hope this helped. If you have more questions please come out, I will pleased to clarify.

Dr S.Murugan