Developed tingling in leg when standing. Underlying cause?

I developed tingling in my left leg only about 2 weeks ago.....when standing not when laying down
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX
Looking into your problem you give a history of developing tingling in your left leg 2 weeks ago . well you did not mention whether it is continuing since then or it has subsided and till what level in your leg it was there . Neuropathy can occur due to multiple causes like Diabetes , autoimmune disorder , vitamin deficiency, sarcoidsis, leprosy etc.. In your case it can be a neuropathy secondary to diabetes .

Diabetic neuropathy may present with tingling and numbness of feet . Loss of vibration sense may be the earliest manifestation . I would suggest you to visit a neurologist get an HbA1c done to assess the sugar control , get an NCV ( nerve conduction velocity) done to establish the pattern of neuropathy to exclude other causes . It is also important to get vitamin B12 levels done. A microfilament can be used to assess the sensations on feet .You can take a good vitamin supplement tilll then which may help a little.

Thank you.

Dr. Shruti
Follow-up: Developed tingling in leg when standing. Underlying cause? 1 hour later
Thank you for your attention..I have a1c1 done ever 3 mos. and am well controlled 5.6 -5.8 B12 levels were done 2 weeks ago and I was told they are fine....( I will get a copy of that report for myself)I was having tremor and had MRI told by Neurolg he did not think it Parkinson's and that he thought I had neuoraphy....( and hardening of the arteries)......up to this point I have had no in ans to your question... Yes! it still continues but only in my left leg.....I have only had pain in my feet once after flying for 5 hours....nothing before or since//// I was concerned that this might have something to do with "Hardening of Arteries" I have a horrible family history ....I eat correctly & have been on statins & now Welchol but it has come down very little in 4-5 years...I am starting a swimming program this week which I hope will help
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 10 hours later

Dear madam ,

It is good that your HbA1c is within normal limits but that does not rule out diabetic neuropathy. You can have neuropathy symptoms along with controlled blood sugar levels also.

Get an NCV done so that exact pattern of nerve involvement can be known. There are many options for treating neuropathy , Pregabalin , Gabapentin , TENS therapy , Duloxetine to name a few. I advise you to stay in touch with a neurologist. Whatever your neurologist feel like is best for you can be started.

Thank you.

Take care and Get well soon.

Dr. Shruti