Developed swelling and rashes on eyelid, cheek and forehead. How to get rid of this?

My 67 y/o husband developed a rash/swollen eyelid, swollen cheek, rash on forehead and top of head in last 12 hrs. He has had no change in meds. Granddaughter was over yesterday and accidently hit him in eye. He thought eye was swelling (like black eye) from her hit. It is not "black", it looks like red rash on lid, then came rash in middle of forehead, now red swollen check area and rash on top of head.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 35 minutes later
From the description, it seems he might be having herpes zoster or shingles. It is characterised by development of small fluid filled blisters over red rash in a particular area and is accompanied by severe pain.

The treatment involves taking oral antiviral like acyclovir in adult dosage for 7 days along with application of topical antibiotic cream and intake of oral painkillers. The antiviral should be taken within 72 hours

I would be in better position to help if you could tell
If he is having fluid filled lesions
If he is having pain in the area

Attaching an image of concerned area would be extremely helpful.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Developed swelling and rashes on eyelid, cheek and forehead. How to get rid of this? 35 minutes later
Yes, he has some pain in the swollen area on the left side cheek. Do not see fluid lesions on forehead and top of head, just prickly rash. He says that could be because of irritant shampoo he used, but seemed odd that everything has appeared at same time. I uploaded picture - not too good at all this. Hope you can see. We plan on going to urgent care or his gp tomorrow. Was just wanting to make sure all this reaction wasn't going to affect breathing or anything else during nite.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
The similar presentation could be due to an irritant reaction as well. However ruling out herpes zoster is necessary as the site of involvement is eye too and it can affect vision and also because treatment should be started as early as possible to decrease chances of post herpetic pain which could be severe in many cases.
I would advise you to visit your GP as early as possible.
There should not be any respiratory discomfort in night. However to be on the safer side, your spouse can take tablet cetirizine or Benadryl prior to sleeping in night.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be any doubt, feel free to write back.