Developed swelling and knot on inner thigh. Hurts to touch. What cure should be done?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was working out without stretching for 2 months. Had not worked out prior to that in 5 years. All of a sudden my left inner thigh got very swollen and I developed a knot. This happened 3 months ago. The swelling is gone and the knot has gotten smaller but has not gone away. It hurts at touch. When I wake up the knot is small and as the day progresses it gets larger.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
It seems that you developed a muscle tear due to stress. The swelling that developed is likely to be due to a localized collection of blood in the area.
Associated mild inflammation causes it to increase in size during the day. You can do a hot fomentation over the area and avoid exercising till it heals.
Usually such soft tissue swellings do resolve on their own without any specific treatment. Taking mild pain killer like ibuprofen will help in reducing pain and inflammation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Developed swelling and knot on inner thigh. Hurts to touch. What cure should be done? 2 days later
Dr. Tayal when I wake up in the morning the knot in the inner hamstring is the size of a pea and there is no swelling but as the day progresses it gets bigger. It doesn't hurt unless I press firmly on the knot. It just feels like there is something there. What can I do to eliminate the knot? I went to a PT who advised I had muscle spasms. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
It will take some time for the swelling to disappear completely.Doing a regular hot fomentation and a light massage in the area followed by physiotherapy will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.