Developed sunburn on thigh. Will it be cured on its own or should I be concerned?

I just got back from watching a college football game in the sun. I was wearing full-length black jeans (I expected it to be cooler) and noticed that the sun was hitting the medial aspect of my left thigh and I was feeling a burning like when one gets a sunburn, but through my jeans. When I got home I found that the anteromedial aspect of my left thigh is mottled (bright red). The jeans were pretty snug, especially in the thigh. Also, I had liposuction on the medial thighs about 7-8 weeks ago. The mottling seems to be spreading a little down my leg to my kneecap now. Should I be concerned or wait to see if it disappears with time?
Posted Fri, 9 Nov 2012 in Sun Burn
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

It would be very unusual for you to develop a sunburn through your jeans. It would be possible to some of the ultraviolet light from the sun might penetrate your pants but this would not typically leave a real burn.

I suspect that you have some type of contact dermatitis that has developed in the area which you have described.

I do not think you need to worry very much at this point. I would recommend that you should observe things for the time being. If your rash does not improve or if it gets worse within 72 hours then you might bring it to the attention of your doctor for a physical examination And evaluation.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert