Developed spotty bruise on thigh. What could it be?

I seem to have developed a kind-of spotty bruise on my thigh. It's about 50mm by 30mm, and consists of purple spots under the skin that look like bruises each about 5mm in diameter. Seems to have developed today, and I haven't bashed my leg, so I'm confused about what this is. I've never had a bruise that looks spotty like this before.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 29 minutes later
Thanks for the query posted . I would be pleased to answer your question .
Thanks for the image sent . It is very clear . I appreciate it.

Yes , From your description and the image sent , these are definitely bruises or bleeding into the skin . These can occur secondary to itching over the thigh unknowingly .
You should get a blood check up done to look for any blood thinning . These include Bleeding Time , Clotting Time and Platelet Count.
Stress also can be a trigger factor . As a part of a syndrome called Gardener XXXXXXX Syndrome.
A clinical examination of the Dermatologist to check for other areas would be preferable .
Thanks and Take care