Developed spasm in lower right arm. Undergone shoulder surgery and had a defibrillator placed. What could be the cause for spasms?

Question
I have developed significant spasm/ movement in my right lower arm. 3 weeks prior I had been working outside digging holes for posts and these symptoms developed. I have had shoulder surgery for rotator cuff on the right shoulder as well as a defibrillator pacer placed this year. If I place my arm with my palm up the spasms stop. What could be causing these spasms
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...Seems to be muscle twitchings only.
Detailed answer...
Vigorous exercises makes the muscle get fatigued which result in twitchings.
Since you did excessove manual work and hence the muscle twitchings.
In addition to fatigue,dehydration and lack of VIT B 12 can accentuate the problems.
It doesn't seem to be serious.
You are advised to do following...
Gentle massage of the area.
Plenty of oral fluids.
Hot water FOMENTATION of area for 10 -15 minutes twice a day.
Taking a multivitamin tablet.
Hopefully,you should be all right in next few days.
In case you don't improve,you should consult your doctor to look for any neurological disorder.
I hope it helps however you may revert o me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Developed spasm in lower right arm. Undergone shoulder surgery and had a defibrillator placed. What could be the cause for spasms? 8 hours later
these spasm have continued for over a month. could this still be muscle fatique? could this be Parkinson?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
if these spasms are for more than a month,then it looks highly unlikely to be due to muscle fatigue.
These spasms and slight movements could be due to parkinson disease and it definitely requires a evaluation by a neurologist.
Thanks