Developed small sores around neck. Feeling light headed and loss of appetite. What is causing these sore?

Jul 2012

Hello, recently I have developed these (2) flat small sores around my neck about a month ago and turn into light XXXXXXX spots. Now I have 3 more sores developing near the neck around the jaw line. Today I had chills/sweats yet have no fever. 97.7 at the moment. Achy, light headed and loss of appetite the last 2 days. I am concerned checked online for pictures and it looks like HIV sores. Help. Last time I've checked I was negative several months ago, I do have liver issues but taking med for it for 2 years now. What could cause the sores. I do have a picture of it. Help.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 4 hours later
Hi there.
It does appear from your history that the sores are unrelated to the current symptoms that are probably just viral in origin. What tests did you do several months ago & why? What liver issues do you have exactly Hepatittis B/C?
What treatment & what is your latest LFT (liver function tests)?
You say you have a picture of the lesion...please upload it using the 'upload data' icon to the right of your screen.
When exactly did these 3 new sores develop? from your history it suggests the sores were present & then you seemed to have developed the feeling of chills, headache, light headedness & loss of appetite?
Have you been sexually active /seeing any particular partner etc who has a history of herpes infection?
Do get back with answers to these queries & shall be happy to figure out an action plan for you. However, Ditch the internet...lousy place to go looking for answers..scares all of us. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Bangalore, India.
Follow-up: Developed small sores around neck. Feeling light headed and loss of appetite. What is causing these sore? 3 hours later
Yes Chronic Hep B, was born with it. Taking viread for 2 years now. Last time I took blood test was April, everything with liver LFT levels are normal. Though sometimes I believe it's hard on my kidneys because I just feel different after taking the meds also my back is always somewhat sore / tired.

Anyhow the 3 new sores developed this week and another one just developed under my chin. At first it looks and feel like an ingrown hair then become into a sore then heals and leaves a XXXXXXX XXXXXXX behind. My partner has herpes, but taking meds for it ever since I known him. I did sexually active with someone like a month ago ... maybe this explains pain burning sensation once in a great while when i pee, but no discharge. I thought it was perhaps it's a kidney infection or something. Anyhow I'm going to try to upload a picture if i can find how. Is this discussion open public to all?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
At the outset, allow me to present the good news: No this discussion is on a private portal & not privvy to all as you have gone through a private route.
Bad news: Yep I think clinically it does appear like a herpes infection.
No worries. It need not be related to the sexual episode. It may have been an old infection that popped up on account of the decreased immunity or on account of a system overload due to the medications et al.
Whatever the cause, treat it using a topical 5% aciclovir cream applied 4-5 times a day to the affected regions. It is too late to start systemic antivirals specifically for herpes. Do a serum IgG/IgM test for herpes 1 & 2. This will tell you if indeed it is herpes & if so, if recent or an old infection.
Drink loads of water/fluids & an occasional beer to help flush out the pesky burning feeling & perhaps no further oral meds required.
Take a holiday..probably just the thing to release tension & boost immunity!!
Hope this answer was clear, precise & helps you make an informed choice & gets you up & about soon..wish you continued good health!!
Please do close this query if done here to preserve the discretion & anonymity & to give yourself some sense of closure & peace of mind :) Also if you have no further issues, please do close it else the system reads it as a 'follow-up' questn & i get a dozen sms' (technology ;-) ). Do send in your feedback & ratings if time permits.
Seriously, wish you & your partner a safe happy existence & Do take care & practice safe sex. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore