Developed small, flat, blotchy dark red rash at the base of toes. Should I be concerned?

Yesterday I developed a small, flat, blotchy dark red rash at the base of my toes on the top of my left foot. It does not itch or feel warm. It does not blanch when I apply pressure. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no worries for now. wtahc for spread, size, itches

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do not think you really need to bother much. Considering the fact that the rash is painless, does not itch and is as of now not spreading, I think you need not bother much.

However, a careful examination of this rash, and watching of how it evolves over time could be important. Any notion of trauma or tight shoes that have been put in lately are important to be noted. If a traumatic origin is completely excluded, it is possible that the cause should be probably of allergic of infectious origin.

Failure to blanch on pressure excludes probable disorders from the blood defects (low platelets, clotting factor defects).

I suggest you stay patient and observe the lesion carefully. You might need to consult a doctor in case the lesion persists, grows bigger, becomes painful, starts itching or starts to spread. Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have specific concerns. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD