Developed severe leg pains. Taking Lofibra. Side effects of medicines?

I have been taking Lofibra for more than a year and recently developed severe leg pain/cramps. My doctor told me to stop taking the Lofibra but how long will it take before I start feeling relief?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Lofibra used in the management of serum cholesterol levels could have some side effects. One of these is skeletal muscle breakdown. This is certainly what happened in your case and thus warranted stoppage of the drug to avoid other serious complications.

Doing a kidney function test is usually recommended since a muscle compound, myoglobin usually released and might have consequences on the kidneys. A careful examination is also required to actually be sure that observed symptoms are due to the drug.

Management involves mainly that you stop the drug as is the case with you. The pain takes a few days to months depending on the patient. But generally, by the end of the first month, most patients experience already significant relief. You need to drink much water and fluids and may take some analgesics in case the pain is so severe. But is sure is, the pain and cramping shall reduce progressively.

Thanks and hope this helps. Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.
Best regards.
Luchuo, MD.