Developed sciatica pain after pregnancy. What treatment should be done to get relief?

Critical Care Specialist
My sister age is 30 and she got Sciatica pain post pregnancy , doctor sugggested to take 3 weeks complete bed rest and taking some medicine . please let me know is there anyother treatment required for her or taking bed rest for 3 weeks along with medicine is fine ?
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 5 hours later

Your sister developed sciatica following pregnancy. There are many causes of sciatica and treatment depends upon the cause.

The most common cause of sciatica following pregnancy is intervertebral disc herniation (prolapse) which may be mild to severe.
MRI (X- XXXXXXX type investigation) is needed to establish the cause of sciatica, so that appropriate treatment can be prescribed. Sciatica do respond well to bed rest and analgesics (pain killer) and is right mode of treatment.

The definitive treatment depends upon the cause of sciatica. I would suggest you to consult an orthopediac surgeon who may order MRI to determine cause of sciatica (level and degree in case of disc herniation) and may suggest other mode of treatment. After initial few days of bed rest, she needs physiotherapy (exercises).

Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Take care of your sister.
Dr Sadiq.