Developed red painful bump on forehead and swelling on nose. Cause and required treatment?

Jun 2015

Thanks- I developed a bump on my forehead without trauma. It felt like an ingrown hair or pimple. This was last night. It is red and slightly painful and about the size of a shelled almond. There was some swelling. Today the swelling has moved down to the bridge of my nose and now touches the corners of eyes. No fever. I'm 48 male. No sinusitis. I would ignore but online browsing led to discussions of peri orbital cellulitis. Id like to go to my GP tomorrow instead of ER tonight, but don't want to be careless.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later

Bump in the forehead can be due to:
1. Hematoma due to head injury- in your post you have not mentioned about any trauma, so this can be ruled out.
2. Inflamed sebaceous cyst or lipoma
3. Mucocele secondary to chronic sinusitis- can also be ruled out
4. Dacrocystitis
5. Folliculitis, etc.

Though Peri orbital cellulitis can also cause swelling, it will be further associated with symptoms like redness, discharge and pain in the eyes, mild fever, blurring of vision, etc.
As all these symptoms are not present, please don't get concerned about the possibility of Peri orbital cellulitis.

So, it will be better to consult your GP & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause.
Based upon that, appropriate management steps could be taken.

Till then, symptomatic relief can be obtained by analgesics & hot compress.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.