Developed rashes on forearm and itchy body after swimming. What should I do?

I just came back from Mexico (Tulum) swam in the ocean and now developed a rash on my forearm. The rest of my body is itchy as well but doesn't have the rash. What should I do? I have a photo of the rash I can send.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I have seen your photograph, and it looks like you have been bitten by an insect or a bug. Other possility is infestation with Ankylostoma/Necator larva. These are larvae of parasite nematodes live in shallow water and can enter the body by piercing the skin and cause infestation in man. Lastly, it can be a bite by water flea.
This definitely needs attention. You can take Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily for as long as the rash lasts. Apply calamine lotion on the rash. Also, at night, you an take Tablet Benadryl 50 mg one tablet once daily. This will make you drowsy so dont drive or handle any machinery after that. You can apply hydrocortisone cream twice daily on this. It is available as Dermacort in the pharmacy.
You will also probably need a deworming course with mebendazole/albendazole. Since these are prescription drugs, please see your physician for the same.
I hope that answers your query.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.