Developed rashes on cheeks, back and buttocks. Feels itchy. Looks like red spots. Had fever. Received MMR vaccine. What can this be?

Pediatrician
Question
My 3 and a half year old daughter developed a rash yesterday afternoon on her cheeks and back and buttocks. It looks like fine red dots. This morning it spread to both her arms as well. It is slightly itchy but not bothersome. The rash on the back seems to have somewhat decreased now. I am attaching high resolution pictures of the rash. On the whole she does not appear unwell, but has a runny nose and complains of sore throat once in a while. Over the last two days I did feel that she has slight fever, but today there is no fever. I read online about fifth disease, scarlet fever, measles, rubella etc. She has received MMR vaccine. Could it be scarlet fever? I am worried if we should take her to a doctor? Just last month she had fever, which her doctor said was a viral. All the children in our neighborhood recently also had hand-foot-mouth disease and so did she. What can it be ? Thanks, Dr. Sonal.
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

You have done a good amount of research and seem to be reasonably correct that the rash can be of scarlet fever as it followed sore throat and fever. You can get the following investigations done to confirm the infection:
1. Haemogram.
2. ESR.
3. C Reactive Protein.
4. ASO titre.
In case the sore throat and fever are persisting it is advisable to consult your doctor and start a course of antibiotics alongwith paracetamol for fever. The rash should fade in the next two to three days.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Developed rashes on cheeks, back and buttocks. Feels itchy. Looks like red spots. Had fever. Received MMR vaccine. What can this be? 7 minutes later
Thanks. but She does not have fever now. If she does not develop fever tomorrow, do we still need to see a doctor or you think that it will go away on its own ?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

The rash typically starts 12-36 hours following the fever which is in your daughter's case. In case her throat is troubling her then she would require a course of antibiotics along with the investigations.

By your description she seems to be doing fine and the rash should subside in the next day or two and nothing shall be required.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Developed rashes on cheeks, back and buttocks. Feels itchy. Looks like red spots. Had fever. Received MMR vaccine. What can this be? 8 minutes later
Thanks. So do you mean that if she feels fine in a day or two, investigations and antibiotic are not needed even if it is Scarlet fever ? does the rash in the photo suggest anything ? I hope the photo is in good resolution at you end.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 4 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

As I mentioned earlier the rash appears to be of scarlet fever, In case she is fine and does not show any fever or bad throat then both the antibiotic and investigations shall not be needed.

Your photographs were good and helped me to come to this conclusion. However a clinical examination is always the best and cannot be replaced.

Rajiv