Developed rashes, lymph node on neck and sore throat. HIV test done. Are the findings normal?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I was in a erlationship in 2yrsa go, developed rash,sorethraot. Got tested multiple times HIV EIA 1/2 and ICMA 1/2/0 , last test 2 yrs after high risk expsoure. Also got tested for hiv-1 dna pcr, hiv 1 rna pcr, hiv 2 dna pcr. I am concerned abt hiv 2 as i tested in usa, labcorp and the lower limit of detection is 350-500 copies. i heard abt seronegative hiv 2 in india and also type 2 replicates very slowly and i am scared the hiv 2 dna pcr missed virus detection. i also developed a neck lymphnode 30 mons after last expsoure.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 9 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I had come across many cases of HIV 2 in India. They are on treatment.

As you said, it replicates very slowly and vertical and horizontal transmission is comparatively lesser than HIV 1. But in all the cases the rapid test or HIV EIA 1/2 will be positive for HIV 2, sometimes positive for both. Western Blot also is able to reveal HIV 2.

There is nothing like sero-negative HIV 2.
As you had already done HIV ELISA, DNA PCR, RNA PCR, HIV2 DNA PCR, that too, 2 years after your risky exposure, it is unlikely for you to have HIV. The lymph node enlargement may be due to various other reasons. If you consult your physician he/she will guide for further investigations and treatment.

Nothing to worry and wish you a speedy recovery of lymph nodal swelling.

Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Developed rashes, lymph node on neck and sore throat. HIV test done. Are the findings normal? 10 hours later

Thank you for replying. Was very helpful. I am also noticing peeling lining of my mouth, constant redness of my throat, also I am in a relationship and my partner developed fer 103 3 weeksa fter we are together. Do I have to worry about this. I read all articles online regarding cases that serocnvert after years of exposure.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

Welcome back with your follow up questions and I am pleased to answer the same.

Fever, sore throat are very common for every one of us and the same was easily transmitted to our kith and kin and those who are in close circles.

When your blood examination for HIV is repeatedly negative even after 6 months, You simply forget everything about HIV 1 or HIV 2. You can not have HIV disease at all in the absence of a negative test.
If you have further problem consult your physician and get cured.
I hope you will be satisfied with my reply.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Developed rashes, lymph node on neck and sore throat. HIV test done. Are the findings normal? 1 hour later

you are very helpful. I have been going through lots of stress as type 2 is not prevalent in usa and starting to rise in india other than Africa. Just curious what is the lower limit of PCR tests in India. and also i read an article where there was a study in mumbai in 2000 where people where not seroconverting even after 8 mons and that really frigtened me. and i had all ARS symptoms 2-3 wks afetr expsoure adn was in very abusiev realtionship, later fund out my partner was cheating. I developed sorethraot, few days later vaginal yeast infection which are common but i still could not forget the rash I got when I woke up one day and went to
dermatologist who could not figure out why I had the rash and this rash was non-itchy lasted 3-4 days.
Seronegative HIV-2 carriers in India.

Fever was 103 3 wks after we unprotected sex in my partner, and i noticed peeling mucosa of my mouth and redness of throat for past 4 mons. I could not get much information reagrding window period of hiv 2 as it is rare in western world and no case studies done.

Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Welcome back.

Window period of HIV 2 also is more or less same as that of HIV 1. Sero-negative HIV 2 is not common. Don't give importance to such vague and rare statements. Moreover when your HIV 2 PCR is negative, so you need not bother about sero-conversion or antibodies as the PCR is more confirmatory and reliable. In India I have come across more than 30 HIV 2 cases so far and window period is almost same for these people as that of HIV 1.
So you need not worry about HIV 2.
Non itchy rashes may associate with viral fever quite often. Your physician will help in this regard.
Get relaxed, you will be alright.
Dr S.Murugan