Developed pink rash and swelling on waistline. Having little itch and no pain. What can be done?

i am visiting costa rica and developed a pink rash and swelling on the right waistline with elongated narrow lessons across the area. 70 year old male on vacation from usa. very little itch and no pain. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Your symptoms seem to be due to a tick bite or contact dermatitis.
Most tick bites are probably harmless and may cause no problems.
Swelling and rash seems to be inflammatory in nature. Refrain from scratching because this may cause the skin to break down and an infection to form.
In some cases, the best treatment is to do nothing to the area.

Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating such small rashes.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. You can get one over the counter easily.

I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it spreads consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Developed pink rash and swelling on waistline. Having little itch and no pain. What can be done? 22 hours later
Contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore, or inflamed after direct contact with a substance. It can happen due to an exposure to an allergen or irritant substance.