Developed pea sized nodes above aerola. Stopped breastfeeding. What it could be?

I am 31 yrs old and discovered a pea sized perfectly round nodule above my aerola while breastfeeding in May. I stopped breastfeeding in July and the knot is still there. It feels hard but in different positions it feels softer. I have always done self exams and never felt it before. It is where I would always mash down when breastfeeding and that is how I found it. I have been to my PCP and GYN twice and neither were concerned. I had an ultrasound to ease my mind and it was normal. The tech said she did not see the knot but saw several areas that looked the same. I have anxiety and have worried myself sick over this knot. Per my PCP I have fibrocystic changes in that particular breast. I trust my drs but I end up online and in a panic over what it could be. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

The lump in the breast should be never ignored or taken lightly due to increased incidence of breast cancer. most breast cancers occurs in late ages usually after menopause but it is better to evaluate any suspected mass. According to your age the most common cause of lump are mostly benign including fibroadenoma which i m having suspicion on you are having the one. other causes include intraductal papilloma, duct cyst and fibrocystic changes.
For proper evaluation, consultation from general surgeon is recommended and the test that can help in diagnosis are mammography and definite diagnosis is always achieved by biopsy

If you still have some queries, feel free to ask

Follow-up: Developed pea sized nodes above aerola. Stopped breastfeeding. What it could be? 1 hour later
Is it concerning that the ultrasound did not show anything? It does not appear to be getting larger and is not sore. Would recent pregnancy increase the chances of a fibroadenoma? Neither of the drs I saw mention getting a mammogram. He only stated that he was not concerned and that I would not need to follow back up unless it gives me problems or enlarges. He is s very good doctor so I don't know whether I should monitor it or what. He was my second opinion and I know it would be irrational to keep going to different doctors about it.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 8 minutes later
thanks for the reply

Fibroadenoma mostly common in reproductive ages and closely associated with pregnancy due to increase in hormone levels. it is a benign condition. and if your doctor is not concerned and he have provided you surety not to do anything until it gives you problem then trust your doctor. he surely have examined the lump and always give you better advice however if the size increases and becomes symptomatic and then get immediate assistance.