Developed painless dent on scalp. What could it be?

I have developed a dent in the left side of my scalp. When I press on it, the dent becomes a little more pronounced. No pain. I have a few other indentations along the left side moving toward the center of my scalp, but not as pronounced. The left side one seems to be bordered by bone and softer in the middle.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

If you do not mind, would you be able to post a picture of the same on this query page? You have a feature to upload the images by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

The possibilities that come to my mind at this moment are:

-A benign osteoma

- Lipoma

- A soft tissue swelling/cyst

- A bony spur

It would help me greatly if you can upload a picture of the lesion.

You may consider getting a plain x-ray of the affected area on the scalp.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Developed painless dent on scalp. What could it be? 6 hours later
I have uploaded a picture. Please respond ASAP, including what I should do about it if anything. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 14 hours later

Thank you for uploading the picture.

Please relax; it looks like a soft tissue dent with displacement of the fluids below the scalp. Watch over it for a few days, it should eventually go away.

If the dent remains the same after a week, consider getting a plain x-ray of the scalp as mentioned earlier.

Smile, it is nothing serious.

Wish you good health.