Developed painful cramps under the arch of both feet and fingers. underlying cause?

I develop severe painful cramps quite often under the arch of both my feet and fingers of my hands. It takes several minutes of relaxation of the affected muscle to get out of the painful situation. Is there an underlying health problem ? Do I need to undergo investigation if yes pl specify
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 43 hours later

What you describe seems like carpopedal spasms. Here painful muscular spasms occur abruptly and usually resolve spontaneously.

Such spasms can be related to over activity, low calcium/low vitamin D, thyroid disorder or neurological condition. I would not press for tests for these disorders if the spasms are not very frequent and recurring. You can visit your nearby physician for detailed clinical examination and blood tests.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarification.