Developed painful cough, headaches, pain behind eyes and sore skin on back. Related?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Hi, I have recently developed a cold that has the usual symptoms of wracking, painful cough, headaches, pain behind eyes etc but have also developed very sore skin on my back...a little like mild sunburn but with no visible signs. Could the two be related?
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you give more information on whether the pain sensation at your back is present on one side only or you are feeling it on both sides.

There can be a probability that you are developing herpes zoster at your back.

The painful sensation can appear before the appearance of herpetic rashes. Symptoms of cold and fever are usually associated with herpes zoster.

You should get yourself examined by a physician and take proper rest along with medicines like antihistaminic for cold and cough, and paracetamol for fever/headaches.

Antiherpetic medicines can be given if your doctor confirms it after examining you.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.
Follow-up: Developed painful cough, headaches, pain behind eyes and sore skin on back. Related? 47 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your feedback. I can confirm that the sensation is all over my back most noticeably near the base of my spine although also up to my shoulders to the base of my neck.

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for your response.

Herpes is only on one side of body. As your pain is not localized so, herpes is unlikely the cause of pain.
Still I would advice you that you should be careful of any rash at back and get yourself examined medically.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any furthur query, please mention.
Regards. Thanks.