Developed pain in leg after weight training. Blood test showed vitamin D deficiency. Any cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have been doing weight training for last 1 year but 6 months back- i developed pain in my left leg from thigh till the foot on the outward side. when i take rest..the pain goes. I also got the blood test done.there was vitamin D deficiency for which i took sachets for 3 months ( calcirol). and currently taking calccimax 500 . But the pain comes whenever i am regular on my exercise even though i have stopped weight training. For ex: if i walk for 5 days then the pain will start.
Posted Sun, 9 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
The pain in outer side of the leg while walking can be due to-
1.Experiencing pain in legs specially on walking indicates a vascular problem most likely.The pain may be caused by claudication caused by peripheral arterial disease (PAD), narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to your leg muscles.
2.Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc.Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects both legs. There are some illnesses that cause leg weakness that may be associated with complaints of leg pain, like Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis.
3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection.
4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked.
Since you have already been diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency, it is best to get your levels checked again to know whether the deficiency is persistent.
Getting your bone mineral density evaluated will give you an idea regarding the calcium stores in your body which is a common cause of leg pains in perimenopausal women.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.