Developed pain in knee when sitting and going down stairs. Cause and remedy?

I have developed slight pain in my right knee over last 2~3 weeks. It gets on me when I am in ground sitting position or when leg is in similar posture. It goes away when I get up and start walking for about 2 mins. I also feel mild pain while going down the stairs or when I massage my right Knee. Please advice on possible cause and remedy.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

It is normal to experience discomfort in knee when knee is subjected to prolonged strain like in prolonged squatting / yoga siting postures. However if the pain is severe and more pronounced on one side, it needs evaluation.

Age related knee changes usually being late after 40 years, however in some individuals due to various factors, the symptoms can appear prematurely earlier.

Unfortunately these changes are too subtle to be found on clinical examination. Hence radiological test are used as key tools to confirm the changes and to start early treatment. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would order X-ray of the knee AP and lateral view first before deciding to do CT/MRI scans of the joint to look for those changes. You can also get your complete blood count and ESR values along with X-rays to co-relate.
Remedial measures can be suggested after looking into the test results.

You can visit an orthopedic and plan the aforementioned tests.

I hope your weight is in ideal limits; if not you will need to shed extra weight. Also start exercises to keep your joints healthy and prevent premature degeneration.