Developed myalgia and low grade fever. Having abdominal pain and feeling nausea. Any solution?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Morning. I am 39 years old and developed myalgia and low grade fever (37.9) on Friday evening and felt pretty rough like I had a bad cold. The temperature had gone a day later. I have noticed abdominal pains since the start of this episode. The pain is at level of umbilicus to an inch or so to the right and left but preominantly above the umbilicus (centrally) by around 2 - 3 inches. The pain only occurs on turning over when in bed and on palpation or moving the skin over the abdomen. If not moving the pain is 0-1/10. If moving around 2/10. If pressure applied 5/10. I had slight nausea a few days ago but this and the temperature have now gone. There has been no vomiting. I am not constipated. One episode of diarrhoea but normal now. Heart rate when ill was elevated but is now normal. I was off food for about a day but appetite is now normal. Any idea why the pain is still there when I am feeling generally better? Thanks
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

You probably had a stomach bug from which you are recovering now. The fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea are all due to the stomach bug.

The persisting pain is due to inflamed inner lining of the stomach. You may need antacid medications for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Developed myalgia and low grade fever. Having abdominal pain and feeling nausea. Any solution? 9 minutes later
Thanks - The episode of diarrhoea was more loose than true diarrhoea and was then normal the next day so I thought it was flu instead at the time. Can I be sure that the pain on palpation above the umbilicus is unlikely to be anything of concern if it is not there when i sit or lie still and do not touch it? I am presuming if it were a major problem then the pain would be severe or present at rest as well as well as other signs and symptoms being present? Had concerns it was pancreatitis or something else undesirable! :-)

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 hours later
Pancreatitis also would also cause pain in the region you have mentioned. But in that case, the pain would be very severe, continuous and sometimes may radiate to the back.

Going by the information you have given, it is more likely to be a stomach bug and gastritis.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini