Developed lumpy, patchy rash on inner thighs and near the groin. Itching. Taking OTC for itching. Further course of action?

Over the last week I have developed a lumpy, patchy raised and slightly firme rash on both inner thighs and near the groin. Both are slightly darker than the surrounding skin, well defined, lumpy and appear slightly darker than the surrounding skin tissue. They are both about 4 inches long and three inches wide, very itchy and, when touched are mildly discomforting -- nothing too painful. They have a slightly solid or swollen feeling -- very unusual in that regard to anything I have ever had. Yesterday -- after reading online and finding pictures for Tinea Cruris that looked somewhat similar ( WWW.WWWW.WW br/listar.asp?acao=mostrar&arquivo=tinea_cruris22.JPG )-- I went to the pharmacy and acquired OTC medication for jock itch and fungal infections and applied the medication last night and this morning. It seemed to provide some relief to the itching that wore off in about 5-6 hours. The medication came in both cream and spray on. This morning the itch is still there -- as are the patches. I am a daily walker (with thick thighs) so I have decided to stop walking for a few days to see if that will help as well. I generally do not wear tight clothing, but have taken the added precaution of washing all my underpants and exercise shorts. Can you advise me if there are any other possibilities that I should consider for this rash and, if so, what course of action i should follow?
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply terbinafine or clotrimazole 1% cream twice d

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your query and link provided by you.
It appears that you have got tinea cruris or superficial fungal infection.
It is not related to diet or other things.
You need to keep the area clean and dry. Humidity, sweating increase the problem.

Also you need to apply topical cream like clotrimazole or terbinafine 1% cream twice daily over the affected area.Oral antifungal may be needed. Usually 3-4 weeks treatment is needed for complete cure.

Hope this helps.
I will be available for any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Developed lumpy, patchy rash on inner thighs and near the groin. Itching. Taking OTC for itching. Further course of action? 17 minutes later
Thanks for the quick reply. For an oral antifungals: Are these usually prescribed by a doctor or are they over the counter medicine? Can you advise on a type? Also, I read somewhere that epsom salt baths could relieve the itching. Is there any guidance on bathing -- showers, baths, etc.?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi Again,

Oral anti-fungal are usually prescribed by doctor. Most commonly prescribed are tab. fluconazole or tab.terbinafine.

You can take this after consulting your local physician.
Epsom baths can reduce itching but better is to take oral antihistaminic like tab. Cetirizine 5mg one per day. It will relieve itching significantly. It is available as tab Zyrtec as over the counter.

You can take routine bath/shower only thing is to keep the affected area dry immediately after bath.
Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Developed lumpy, patchy rash on inner thighs and near the groin. Itching. Taking OTC for itching. Further course of action? 23 minutes later
Thanks again. I will do as you suggest. Do you think it would be wise to seek a doctor for prescription immediately or to wait and see how the home treatment goes? Also, some with this condition have recommended two other home remedies:

(1) Bleach diluted 3parts water:1part bleach applied directly to affected areas. They claim this is very fast acting.

(2) Vinegar: Similar claim to using bleach.

Do you think these could be effective and safe to do? Some say the bleach remedy actually is very fast acting.

Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply clotrimazole cream twice daily

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I will not recommend any home remedies mentioned above.

Its best to apply antifungal cream like clotrimazole 1% cream or terbinafine 1% cream topically twice daily.You can safely use them for 2 weeks if improvement is not satisfactory you can visit a doctor for prescriptions medications.

Hope this helps.

If you are satisfied with the answer please accept the answer and rate it at the end.