Developed lump between vagina and anus, getting pain in anus. Am I suffering from hernia?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi I am a female and I have developed 2 days ago a lump on my lower groin region in between the outside of my vagina and anus. I got it checked yesterday and the doctor thinks it may be a lymph node maybe flared up from a virus but it is quite painful. I feel it may be a hernia i am quite active bike riding etc, and do lots of heavy lifting
Also when I squat ie: sitting on toilet, I can feel it more
Also I forgot to add that I am getting dull cramps on the left side of my anus. I am mid cycle in my period and I do develop sometimes cramping during this time but it is a different feeling
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 29 minutes later
Hi, thanks for your query.

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) The swelling is unlikely to be hernia because –

a) It is an unusual place for hernia and there is no hollow place through which any visceral organ can herniate.

b) Hernia occurs slowly over a time. It is unlikely to develop suddenly as you describe.

c) Hernia usually bulges out when abdominal pressure is raised eg. Coughing increases hernia size and can be felt. Your doctor would not have missed on this. 

2) The swelling could be lymph node. If you still have doubt, please see a general surgeon who can examine the swelling to rule ischiorectal abscess or any other likely lesions.

I hope I answered your query. Get back to me if you need any other clarification.

Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol