Developed keloid scar after cyst removal. What are the best treatments?

Dermatologist
Question
My son developed a keloid scar after having a cyst removed. what are the best treatments? He is in the military and is limited to treatments. The Keloid scar is on his chest. Will physical excercise worsen since he is physically active.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 51 minutes later
Hi!,

Thank you for posting the query,

It is first important to understand that is it actually a hypertrophic scar or a keloid.

A keloid by definition means one which is claw like and spreads from its border .

A hypertrophic scar is just elevated at the site of injury ,but does not spread from its borders.

But chest as you mentioned is a common site for a keloid.

Best treatment for a keloid is intra-lesional injection of triamcinalone (steroid) along with injection of 5FU(flurouracil).These two are mixed in syringe and in injected directly on to the keloid.

Apart from this Lasers (alone or in combination with the above injections) can also be taken .In keloid pulse XXXXXXX laser(PDL) is supposed to be the best ,but it is a costlier treatment and requires multiple sittings.

Silastic gel sheets can also be used to prevent the recurrence.

Chest is the most movable part of the body because of breathing activity,and hence a common site for keloid.And any physical activity can aggravate keloid and would hamper in treatment too.So if possible kindly avoid excess physical activity.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Developed keloid scar after cyst removal. What are the best treatments? 1 hour later
The injections and laser treatment would not be an option right since he is the military, but I have seen silicone sheetings online from various companies. Are you familiar at all with a product named Rejuveness Keloids or Hypertrophic? Or one that has good reults? I know my son said the doctor told him there was nothing he could do for it, but I beg to differ, at least one that is less risk and one he could apply himself. My son says it does not itch nor seem like it has gotten larger, so I'm wondering if it could be Hypertrophic.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 11 hours later
Hi!,

Thank you for writing back,

Even if it is a hypertrophic scar one can take both these injections as mentioned earlier.They are both safe.

Unfortunately silicon sheets don't show good result .They are only used for maintenance i.e. once you have got 80% result with the injections or laser , and you don't need the keloid to grow back .

There are so many companies making silicon sheets ,so it would be difficult to comment on one.I haven't heard of the Rejuveness Keloid product ,but I checked on the net and it seems to be the same as other products available online.You can try it out as an alternative.

I would advise your son to consult a competent dermatologist for proper treatment options.I am sure they are not going to deny on the treatment.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.