Developed itchy spots all over body. Scabies?

My daughter has lots of spot all over her body. They started to appear about 2weeks ago. After few days it seemed to get better but my other daughter got them too. She has it mainly on her legs and my little girl(who was the first with the spots) has it mainly on her chest stomach and back. They say its really itchy. It doesn't have a line,I was scared it might be scabies. My husband took them to the doctor and she said it might be virus.
How long can this spots last?
What could it be?
Does it seem like scabies?
I'll attache a picture.

Forget to say their age
5 and 9year old.

Looking forward to your answer.

Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
I have seen the picture attached.
Yes it is common to have rash due to a viral flu. The rashes are not likely to be due to scabies.

In most of the viral infections the rash starts after the fever subsides, may spread to the whole body or peak for a couple of days and then gradually subside on its own in few days to a week.

The rash might be associated with itching and may respond to antihistamine drugs like cetrizine or hydroxyzine. You can also apply medicated calamine lotion on it for relief.

The other possibilities though unlikely could be a drug reaction to any medicines taken or bacterial sepsis.These are usually more severe and require prompt treatment.

In your child they are not likely as there are no associated symptoms now.

But if there is any new symptom like bleeding, pain, pus discharge, breathing difficulty then please consult your pediatrician for confirmation of diagnosis .

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.