Developed itchy rashes on hand, started spreading. What is the disease called?

I have an itch which was in my hands at first then it spread to the rest of my body. When I scratch I develop a rash. I've used amost all of the anti-itch creams and allergy medications.Can you tell me what could possibly be the problem? I have not used any new products or eaten anything new.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

You seem to be having urticaria.

Its also called hives. In this condition when you scratch, there is a rash. This is called dermatographism.

Its a condition where there are red raised lesions all over the body with lot of itching.

These lesions are of various sizes and shapes and they come and go on their own.

They need prompt treatment.

Urticaria may be idiopathic or may have a variety of causative factors, there is an exhaustive list available but to tell you the truth its really difficult to pin point one thing.

The best thing to do is to start prompt treatment for immediate relief.

since this is an allergy, taking anti allergy tablets is the mode of treatment. Its usually advisable to take a combination to suppress the process. Also since it can be caused due to various reasons its advisable to find a cause and eliminate it. It can be due to food, medications, pollen, house dust etc.

The treatmenr would be tablet fexofenadine 180 mg once in the morning and tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at night for 3 months. You may require a prescription for this.

Its necessary to take medications for atleast 3 months to suppress

Its necessary to take medications for atleast 3 months to suppress the process.

You can apply calamine lotion on the rash twice a day, it will help to soothe it.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.