Developed itching problem and prescribed with triamcinolone cream. Having lesions all over body. Suggest a remedy for itching problem?

Dec 2012

My mother developed an itching problem nearly 3 months ago. I've taken her to several doctors. They've prescribed Triamcinolone cream, ointment, and finally a compound of
Triamcinolone .1% in Sarna lotion and the stronger Clobetasol .05%. Whenever I see her scratching, I apply the creams or lotion to the affected part. She continues scratching for
sometimes 1/2 hour before she stops. She has lesions all over her body. Luckily, they aren't infected, but quite unsightly. Can you suggest anything else to stop this itching problem? Would a Psychiatrist be able to help?
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Itching or pruritus in elderly or advanced age could be due to a good number of reasons and it is always almost due to another diseases condition. Amongst the causes, we have:
- eczema
- scabies
- ambiguous itching
- xerosis
- dermatitis
- Willan's itch

In the elderly, how itching arises is still largely unexplained. Pruritus as earlier mentioned is however a symptom of other illnesses. She might be suffering from a kidney insufficiency, autoimmune diseases, diabetes or local skin affection as earlier cited etc which could be responsible for the pruritus.
Therefore it is always necessary to examine elderly patients. In this light, you will need to see a dermatologist who can do this examination.
She is already on good medication, but that might not suffice. She might require treatment of diseases such as scabies with benzyl benzoate lotion, take oral steroids and antihistamines as single or combination therapy. This might be the only way she might get temporary or permanent relief.
She will also require psychiatric consultation. Given her age, this could have a psychological origin too.

Hope this helps and wish you both the best.
Dr. Nsah