Developed itching on genitals. What to get cured?

I am 44 years old female and recently developed itching on my genitals . The itching though is very embarrassing but is also pleasure some. I am not sexually active for some time except two weeks back. This time the period was also not proper , the discharge was somewhat discolored. Please let me know the cause of my ailment.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 17 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The reason behind your itching can be either a genital infection or a perimenopausal genital dryness.

Genital infections can result even if you are not sexually active, For example the yeast infection. It presents with thick curdy white discharge, itching and redness. It occurs due improper hygiene or in the time near menses. Also constant wetness and damp area promotes fungal growth (yeast infection). Diabetics have more of these infections.

So to rule out genital infections you have to visit your gynecologist for an XXXXXXX examination and appropriate treatment.

Perimenopausal dryness occur to lack of hormones as you approach menopause. This can occur years before actual menopause(stopping of periods completely) is attained. Due to lack of estrogen hormone, the genital tissues become dry and there is itching.
Other symptoms of perimenopausal period can be hot flushes, mood changes, irritability and irregular periods with lighter flow.
As you said you period was not proper this time, it further explains the same.

However a definite diagnosis can be made only after a complete physical and XXXXXXX examination along with required tests.
So kindly visit a gynecologist for the same.

I hope I have answered your query.

take care.