Developed hip pain. Intense and irritating. Suggest stretching exercises and medicines?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

I have developed some hip pain on my right hip. It is mostly in the center of the right buttock. It is not intense but irritating and mostly remains throughout the day(most of day).

I am not sure if that matters but six months back we bought a very soft mattress(8 inch) for our bed.

Can you suggest if I should take some medicine or go with some stretching exercise before I show to some doctor?
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can do stretching exercises to relieve spasm.

Detailed Answer:

The pains that you have described are likely to be due to a muscular pain most likely caused by a wrong body posture.

If some one with similar history presents to my clinic, I would recommend the following:
1. Regular stretching exercises to relieve the spasm.
2. Prefer hard bed and do not use very soft mattress
3. Regular hot fomentation over the affected hips
4. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel like relaxyl 2-3 times a day.
5. Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen one tablet as and when required to reduce pain .

If the pain persists for more than a week, I would order for X-rays for closer evaluation.

Hope this helps you. I would be glad to help if needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.