Developed hard and dry patch in centre of palm. Painful to touch. What it could be?

Hi, I have developed a very hard dry patch in the centre of my right palm, it occasionally cracks, which is painful and a little bit itchy. I have had it for over 3 months now, I have been continuously using all sorts of nourishing creams, but nothing helps. Any idea what it might be? Many thanks for your help, Irina
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the image. I have taken a good look at it.

It seems like a superficial fungal skin infection in your right palm, probably a Tinea infection.

Please consider applying Clotrimazole (Lotrimin) ointment to the affected areas twice daily for 2 weeks and look for improvement. It should get better with this. The ointment is available over the counter in UK.

It is better not to use steroid based cream as it may worsen the lesion initially.

Please do write back for further discussion on this.