Ask a Dentist   »  

Developed geographic tongue and getting canker sore in mouth. How to treat it?

ENT Specialist
A little more than a year ago, I developed what appears to be geographic tongue, which has elongated palpilea and tends to stay white, and dry and fisured with sores recurring almost weekly. The rest of my mouth often gets cankor sores about every 2-3 weeks and general inflamation of my oral mucosa. This all started after taking a dose of metridonizole. 5 months later I tested negitive for HIV and all hepititis. a year later I still have RAS problems. my saliva seems slightly thicker than normal and i general have a dry feeling mouth. I have no white growths or patches or plaques any where in my mouth or on tongue (not candida or leukoplakia) I see my dentist twice a year, brush every day, and have above average oral cleanliness. I have no alergies to any medications. Dr visits thus far have only resulted in anti fungals which don't help. I am not sure what is causing it or how to fix it or treat it. any suggestions?
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Dry mouth (xerostomia) is usually due to a decrease in the amount of saliva in the mouth. In addition to the discomfort of dry mouth, a prolonged reduction in the amount or flow of saliva can also have many other serious consequences.

There are various causes which can induce xerostomia:
1. Side effect of certain medications - medicines used for treatment of depression, antihistaminic, etc.
2. Secondary to certain diseases and infections - Vitamin deficiency, anemia, diabetes, Sjogren's syndrome, following radiotherapy, etc.
3. Dehydration - reduced intake of water.
4. Damage to the nerves - surgical/traumatic.
5. Surgical removal of the salivary glands.
6. Lifestyle - Smoking, chewing tobacco, continuous mouth breathing can aggravate dry mouth.

As you have mentioned that you are suffering from depression and anxiety; the medicines you might be taking to treat the above problem could be one of the reasons behind dry mouth.

Secondly, as mentioned above vitamin deficiency could be one of the causes behind dryness of the mouth.

My advice to you is:
1. To consult your doctor for modification of the drugs (if you are taking any?).
2. To drink plenty of water, this will keep the oral cavity moist.
3. To consume plenty of sugarless liquids, sugarless candies and chewing gum.
4. Try taking sialogogues such as lime juice, tamarind, etc. it will stimulate the production of saliva.
5. Consuming vitamin B-complex helps in regeneration of the damaged mucosa of the oral cavity.
6. Avoid smoking or tobacco chewing if any.
7. Also, eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon